On 10/1/23 04:05, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 01/10/2023 10:21, hw wrote:
Well, zram is the way to go; why would you still use swap partitions
or swap files instead?

The topic of this thread is a *Pi board. It does not have as much RAM as significant part of x86_64 laptops and desktops with installed Fedora.

It seems, Gene it trying to run some CNC software and Firefox to control it, perhaps some CAD. I suspect that some of mysterious issues are caused by not enough RAM. Adding swap on a hard drive instead of ZRAM may relief some issues.

However I would consider moving most of application to another machines. My suggestion is to monitor RAM usage and to avoid overloading of *Pi boards. Perhaps swap may be still necessary for complicated CNC tasks.

.
You've a good view of this hw. However swap is not important to run linuxcnc, in fact its to be avoided because it messes with realtime response. Linuxcnc needs, even with much of the control offloaded to mesa and similar smart cards, it still needs to check what the machine is doing 1000 times a second. The way I'm doing it, the wobble in this timing as 50 to 80 microseconds, which doesn't bother the machine all that much, the real time killer is firing up firefox which can lock out the irq response for hundreds of milliseconds. So I don't carve metal and browse the web at the same time. I added some dials and decoders so I can run this lathe, which only has 3 motors, and no compound at all, by hand using the dials as hand cranks. Originally doing this on an rpi3b when it was new in the 2017-2018 timeframe, I put all the hand control stuff in a slower 200 hz thread since I can't turn the dials any faster by hand anyway. Its still there. Linuxcnc, driving the two motors, is a far more accurate compound than the broken compound I've removed ever was. The third motor is driving the spindle at continuously variable speeds with an encoder telling linuxcnc where the spindle is 240 times a revolution. There are no change gears, yet it can cut any thread, inch or metric including some I've dreamed up. Sub-micron accurate at any angle. Whats not to like?

Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis