On 10/1/23 09:39, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 08:58:36AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 05:07:48AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
You've a good view of this hw. However swap is not important to run
linuxcnc, in fact its to be avoided because it messes with realtime
response. Linuxcnc needs, even with much of the control offloaded to mesa
and similar smart cards, it still needs to check what the machine is doing
1000 times a second. The way I'm doing it, the wobble in this timing as 50
to 80 microseconds, which doesn't bother the machine all that much, the real
time killer is firing up firefox which can lock out the irq response for
hundreds of milliseconds.  So I don't carve metal and browse the web at the
same time.

If Firefox is really just for "browsing the web", and is not part of
the user interface for the CNC pieces, I don't understand why you run
Firefox on this machine at all.  I would run the browser on a separate
computer, one which isn't so critical to your operation.

Echoing Greg:

2G is a fairly small amount of memory - by default the *Debian* install
for RPi 4 now gives you 1G of swap on whatever medium - which you should
never need to use.

It would make sense for something real time critical to be on a 2GB or 4GB RPi
on it's own - if you're running modellers or whatever for 3D printing, that
might be different but a command line or simplest web interface might be
best. You REALLY don't want anything extraneous.

Pi 4GB or 8GB are now available more or less: your BananaPi - you are *very*
much on your own.

All best, sa ever,

Andy
[amaca...@debian.org]

.
The bananapi-m5 at $80 USD is very much the superior pi except for no radio, 4 core cpu at 2 GHz, w/o a fan, 4G of dram, 16G of m2 disk onboard, and all 4 usb ports are usb3 speed. The armbian install runs on ubuntu jammy repos. Got a pile of them here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis