On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 01:24:21PM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 01:08:58PM -0400, Pocket wrote:

> > > https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf
> > >
> > openresolv or resolvconf is not installed
> >
> > no dhcp client is running only networkmanager is installed/running

Well, NM is a dhcp client, technically.

> > making /etc/resolv.conf immutable is not the answer
>
> If you're asking us to tell you how to *make NetWorkManager behave*
> then you might be frustrated.  Most of the people on this mailing list
> don't use it.  There are some who actively despise it, and go out of
> their way to ensure it's never installed.  (Those people are a small
> minority, but they're definitely here.)  So, in all likelihood, nobody
> here might know that answer.

Well, that is not true. I think for a desktop NM is the right tool for most
users.
Some of these statements are based of past issues which mostly are
resolved these days.

> If you believe NM is not behaving according to its documentation, then
> file a bug report.

Yes true,

But I would assume that the initial question points to the real problem
here.

I assume you have some special requirments for your DNS resolver and you
just put specific dns resolver in your /etc/resolcv.conf

There might be better ways with NM to manually specify your dns server.

Each network connection stanza can be individually configured based on your
location requirements. I would look into the documentation to solve the
issue the "NM way" and not come up with some hack and then fight the NM.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollm...@itcfollmann.com