On 10/24/23 13:21, Pocket wrote:

On 10/24/23 12:48, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 22/10/2023 23:29, gene heskett wrote:
My whole home net has no dhcp server, host files do it all.

NM, and avahi, seems to want to assign a default route in the 169 block if it cannot find a dns server,
[...]
IF I can prevent NM and avahi from assigning a totally bogus 169. route, it just works.

NetworkManager supports static network configuration and it has been working for years.

Of course, by default it tries to get configuration from a DHCP server. A connection with a static address may be created even from GUI.

There was a thread several months ago with discussion of link local 169.254.x.y addresses. They may coexist with dynamic or static IP addresses. avahi-autoipd (avahi is another daemon) just tries to make at least some network resources available for you. It is not a fault of avahi-autoipd or NetworkManager that your configuration expects DHCP response on a network where static addresses are used.

Where may I find that thread?

I would like to read it
So would I.

Thanks