On 10/29/23 22:17, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 30/10/2023 00:08, Pocket wrote:
On 10/29/23 12:24, gene heskett wrote:
I have also made a very painfull attempt to change my domainname from coyote.den to home.arpa, and finally reverted that,

Gene, have you posted what exactly you did to switch from coyote.den to home.arpa? You have been told that setting NIS domainname was a wrong direction since you do not manage your hosts through NIS.

NetworkManager keeps updating the /etc/resolv.conf file in my opinion because it is querying the DHCP server.
[ ... ]> cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GREMLIN.nmconnection
[ipv4]
method=auto
gene@coyote:/etc$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GREMLIN.nmconnection cat: /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GREMLIN.nmconnection: No such file or directory

Thats this machine, but applied to the problematic machine it becomes
sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/'Wired connection 1.nmconnection'
which returns:
==========
gene@bananapim55:/etc/systemd$ sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/'Wired connection 1.nmconnection'
[connection]
id=Wired connection 1
uuid=14621305-9887-3c6c-9e50-50894877ab68
type=ethernet
autoconnect-priority=999
interface-name=eth0
timestamp=1698571927

[ethernet]
cloned-mac-address=BE:63:9C:35:DD:4F
duplex=full
speed=1000

[ipv4]
address1=192.168.71.55/24,192.168.71.1
dns=192.168.71.1;
dns-search=hosts;nameserver;
ignore-auto-routes=true
may-fail=false
method=manual
route1=192.168.71.1/24,192.168.71.1

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=disabled

[proxy]
========
All of which now looks totally legit once /etc/resolv.conf was made immutable. As an aside, I have yet to see a complaint from modern NM when it finds that file cannot be changed. When it was new, many generations ago, it had a cow quite regularly. Then the only way to clean up the logs was to rm the executable. It, when new, was not removable by apt as it took the rest of the system with it. So I've always looked at NM as something looking for a problem I didn't have. A Karen to be removed by whatever means worked. A root rm usually solved it all. So for me, its still, in the year of our lord 2023, a PITA. A hosts file for local lookups, with anything not found there forwarded to my ISP's dns server is all I've ever needed. And it has not changed in 25 years. To me, dhcp is a total waste of cpu cycles.

Gene has no DHCP server, so it should be method=manual. Frankly speaking, I see almost no advantages of NetworkManager over ifupdown in a purely static network. E.g. cable plug/unplug events should not matter since there is no need to update configuration in response.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis