On 10/30/23 12:40, Pocket wrote:

On 10/30/23 12:15, John Hasler wrote:
Why do you have NetworkManager installed at all?

That is an interesting question for Gene.

apt purge --autoremove network-manager will fix that.

I can do that? The last 3 or 4 times I tried that, dependencies took the rest of the system down to bare metal and I had to re-install, so excuse me if I seem gun shy... Apt or aptitude, same results. I have rm'd the executable a few times but chattr fixes it better. That or once I removed the execute bits from the executable. That seemed to work too.

Thank you, Pocket.  TAke care & stay well.

I take a bit different opinion from Gene, instead of chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf I work to figure out how to setup the software.

setting files to immutable is not how to do things in my opinion

If it doesn't work either I am doing something wrong or don't understand how to set it up or all the above, that includes understanding or not the docs

I agree whole heartedly with this attitude. But we've got man pages in some cases 25 damned years old that can't be brought up to what the code does today. Or to save space on the install dvd, man pages are heavily culled.

Even on this list examples of how to do it correctly are similar to pulling teeth. You tell me I'm wrong, and I likely am, but only a few will tell me how to do it /right/ by this weeks code. That is what I'm hoping to get, not this endless thread.

In my case NetworkManager got installed by my "default" installation method, (I don't know why and don't really care) so in my mind I need to work with it.

I want to manage ip addresses/dns server addresses on my network using DHCP.

Having to setup things using static addressing is not my cup of tea, been there, done that and got the scars from it.

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/becoming-friends-networkmanager

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/network-manager

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Pocket.
Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis