On Thu 02 Nov 2023 at 12:09:55 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2023 at 04:56:59PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > I have installed old distribution
> > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 9.1.0 _Stretch_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1
> > 20170722-11:29]/ stretch contrib main non-free
> > (because that was newest distribution I had on DVD with me)
> >
> > I configured network and now I am trying to update the system to sid.
>
> You *cannot* upgrade a Debian 9 system directly to current unstable.
>
> The current Debian release is Debian 12.
>
> In order to upgrade this system to unstable, you would first have to
> upgrade it to Debian 10, then to Debian 11, then to Debian 12, and
> then finally to unstable.
>
> I would not do that, however.  Instead, I would reinstall the system
> using the Debian 12 installer, and then go from *there* to unstable,
> if for some reason you really truly need to run unstable.
>
> If you don't actually need to run unstable, just leave it on Debian 12.

I suspect this may be an X-Y problem. The OP appears to already have
a working sid, but it's on a disk that may be failing.

The idea of upgrading an installation is probably unattractive, as
they appear to only have access to a weak, remote wifi signal, and
they supply their phone's internet connection from the same source
indirectly (by feeding a router from their computer), so tethering
is out. (

has not been contradicted.)

So I have to ask why they don't just copy their existing sid to the
new hard drive, make it bootable, and run that instead.

Cheers,
David.