On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 05:43:18AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> I'm user 1000 and have had the expected results by putting a modified path
> in my .profile but it is not automatic, I have to . .profile for every
> terminal I start. I have 2 non-stock dirs in my /home/me path, bin and
> AppImages, and I put them ahead of the rest of the default path. Now if
> someone would tell me how to make that automatic I'd be delighted.

There's nothing that will work in *all* setups.  You have to do what
works for *your* setup.

Last I heard, you use a third-party desktop environment (Trinity or
something like that), and from your context above it looks like you use a
GUI Display Manager to login.  I also believe you're using an X session
(not Wayland) and I'm guessing that your DE is normal, not GNOME-like,
in its terminal spawning.

For this setup, I'd go with the ~/.xsessionrc file.  Create the
file /home/gene/.xsessionrc and put this in it:

    PATH=$HOME/bin:$HOME/AppImages:$PATH
    GENETEST=hello
    export PATH GENETEST

Then on your next login, see whether you have the correct PATH, and
whether you have the GENETEST variable in your environment (this is just a
debugging aid, to be sure the file was used).  If all works as expected,
you can get rid of the GENETEST variable later.  It shouldn't hurt
anything, just uses a few extra bytes of memory, so it's a low priority.

If you don't get the GENETEST variable in any program's environment,
then your OS isn't Debian enough (or your DE clears it out, or your
terminals are spawned in a GNOME-like manner...), and you'll have to
find a different solution.