On 25/11/2023 10:50, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 10:28:13AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
SDDM does read /etc/profile and ~/.profile when starting a user session:
https://sources.debian.org/src/sddm/0.20.0-1/data/scripts/Xsession/

Interesting.  I wondered whether that might be a Debian patch, since I
couldn't see mention of it in the upstream SDDM changelog.

You are right. I posted a link to a wrong file. It should be
https://sources.debian.org/src/sddm/0.20.0-1/debian/Xsession/
Perhaps added in

sddm (0.11.0-4) unstable; urgency=medium
[...]
  * Add the Xsession script. (Closes: #794419)
[...]
 -- Maximiliano Curia <m...@debian.org>  Thu, 03 Sep 2015 17:23:08 +0200

I expect that GDM contains similar code reading /etc/profile and ~/.profile.
LightDM Ubuntu package (but not Debian one) has it.

Ubuntu makes a change of that nature?  That surprises me.  It seems
uncharacteristically nerdy for their mission goal of dumbing everything
down to a common denominator.  Could it be an upstream change instead,
with Ubuntu simply using a newer upstream version than Debian?

I think that patch was added when Unity was the default session and LightDM was the default display manager. Nowadays it is Gnome and GDM.