Hi,

On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 12:21:28PM +0000, Richard Smith wrote:
> I find the issue with Debian weird, as I was able to use this same computer
> (Lenovo IdeaPad I7, with a Realtek b52 controller) with Ubuntu, Kali, and
> Tails, without an issue!
>
> I hear that Debian is awesome when it comes to stability - but after spending
> over 8 hours trying to install it to my laptop, I'm beginning to question
> what constitutes as "awesome" in some people's eyes...

Your opinion piece is best posted to your blog as it won't help you
get assistance in a Debian support venue.

> I'm trying to learn about how to compile a driver (if I can find
> one for Debian 12) - if anyone can assist, that would be great!

I have a laptop with an RTL8852be which runs Debian 12. I had to
install a DKMS module to get support for it. I reported this to
debian-kernel here:

    https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2023/03/msg00275.html

that link also contains a link to the github repository for the DKMS
that I successfully use. If that driver is for your hardware, I
suggest you try that and report back any issues. It works fine for
me and my only complaint is that it is a DKMS.

Or continue using a distro kernel that has the driver built in.

As the thread linked above covers, given that upstream kernel does
have the rtw89_8852be driver in it, it will eventually come to
Debian, though possibly in a bookworm-backports kernel untilDebian
13 (trixie) is released.

Thanks,
Andy