On 28/11/23 05:59, Maureen L Thomas wrote:

I would like some advice.  I have been offered a dedicated IP through NORD.  Is it worth it or is it not needed?  Pros and cons would be very helpful.  Thank you.

Moe

For a home user the best use-case is to install a VPN - such as openvpn - and connect to that from a mobile device such as a smart phone.

Having a fixed IP address definitely helps that, though it can be done with a dynamic address and a fair bit more effort.

If you have a VPN then you can access your LAN files from remote locations. I also run a dovecot mail server in my LAN so I connect using my smart phone and OpenVPN and read my emails without any possibility bad guys can read them as well.

The cons of a fixed IP address aren't any greater than a dynamic IP address