On 11/29/23 21:31, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 30/11/2023 06:51, gene heskett wrote:

Which is what I want to do but I've been told that /etc/network/interfaces is not the "today way" to do it.

What was the context when you have been told that?

If you are using NetworkManager then just change connection properties to "manual" in the IPv4 section. Alternatively just configure ifupdown (/etc/network/interfaces) and reboot if you are unsure how to reload NetworkManager configuration. By default NetworkManager ignores interfaces configured using ifupdown. I assume that neither tool configured systemd-networkd on your machine. Check output of the following commands

     networkctl
root@mkspi:/etc# networkctl
WARNING: systemd-networkd is not running, output will be incomplete.

IDX LINK             TYPE               OPERATIONAL SETUP
  1 lo               loopback           n/a         unmanaged
  2 eth0             ether              n/a         unmanaged
  3 wlan0            wlan               n/a         unmanaged

3 links listed.

     nmcli

root@mkspi:/etc# nmcli
-bash: nmcli: command not found

P.S. Enabling DHCP may allow to use default network configuration on all devices.

hummmm, I'm logged in wit ssh:
root@mkspi:/etc# cat default/networking
# Configuration for networking init script being run during
# the boot sequence

# Set to 'no' to skip interfaces configuration on boot
#CONFIGURE_INTERFACES=yes

# Don't configure these interfaces. Shell wildcards supported/
#EXCLUDE_INTERFACES=

# Set to 'yes' to enable additional verbosity
#VERBOSE=no

# Method to wait for the network to become online,
# for services that depend on a working network:
# - ifup: wait for ifup to have configured an interface.
# - route: wait for a route to a given address to appear.
# - ping/ping6: wait for a host to respond to ping packets.
# - none: don't wait.
#WAIT_ONLINE_METHOD=ifup

# Which interface to wait for.
# If none given, wait for all auto interfaces, or if there are none,
# wait for at least one hotplug interface.
#WAIT_ONLINE_IFACE=

# Which address to wait for for route, ping and ping6 methods.
# If none is given for route, it waits for a default gateway.
#WAIT_ONLINE_ADDRESS=

# Timeout in seconds for waiting for the network to come online.
#WAIT_ONLINE_TIMEOUT=300

What does all this tell someone more experienced?
.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis