On Nov 29, 2023, gene heskett wrote:
> On 11/29/23 20:20, John Hasler wrote:
> > Gene writes:
> > > I've been told that /etc/network/interfaces is not the "today way" to
> > > do it.
> >
> > It works fine.
> >
> > > Then [dhcp is] something else I'll have to maintain as my network
> > > grows,
> >
> > A changing network is exactly what dhcp is for.  With it you will not
> > need to do anything when you add a machine.
> Does it always lock the address to that MAC? ISTR a time long ago when it
> didn't.

Not by default.  It certainly /can/ though.  I can't say it's been
available "forever", but reservations for specific MAC addresses have
been available for the last 20 years.

Noting, of course, that just because a network has a DHCP pool, you
don't _have_ to use it for all hosts.  For example here, I have all
"servers" and network hardware set up with static addresses outside the
DHCP Pool, then a pool for mobile devices (phones / tablets / etc.) and
obviously anything "new" that gets added.

--
|_|O|_|