On Sat, Dec 02, 2023 at 10:28:14PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 02 Dec 2023 at 13:48:34 (+0000), Darac Marjal wrote:
> > On 02/12/2023 04:22, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > apt-get has the side effect of installing the packages on the
> > connected system.
>
> Not with the -d option. I think Greg may have suggested apt-get
> because apt autocleans as a side effect, but that can be prevented
> with a configuration option, IIRC it's APT::FtpArchive::Clean.

Well, I initially suggested "apt install ./myfile.deb" because I
thought the goal was to install a .deb file and its dependencies.

Then it was mentioned that the procedure would need to be repeated on
a non-networked computer, so I changed it to "apt-get install ./myfile.deb"
which would leave the dependencies in /v/c/a/a so they could be copied
to the non-networked computer along with the initial .deb file.

After that, it was revealed that the whole project is based on some
paranoid fantasy.  The non-networked computer is non-networked only
because the OP believes that "they" (that's literally the word which
was used) are using "AI" to watch the OP "24/7".  This makes me less
inclined to take the project seriously.

Even with that revelation, however, I still feel the most obvious
way to proceed would be to have a networked computer which "mirrors"
the non-networked one.  When you need to install something on the
non-networked computer, you first do it on the networked one, then copy
everything over to the non-networked one.

It doesn't have to be a whole computer.  It could be a VM, or just a
simple chroot directory.