Am Dienstag, 5. Dezember 2023, 18:56:48 CET schrieb Stephen P. Molnar:
Not good! You have to start startx from the shell.

However, when you see the login screen (gdm, lightdm, kdm, whatever), that
means, the X-server is running and ok.

So you have a problem with XFCE.

Look at ~/.config/xfce4 and move this folder out of the way.

Also look in your /home directory, if any files are set ownership root:root.
This caqn happen, when you change from a normal user to root. I had this
problem, that .xerrors were set to ownership root:root thus X started no more.
So iz might be, that some files of XFCE are set root:root,m and can not be
overwritten.

So my suggestion: move any folders related to xfce4 away (just to somewhere
else) and try it again.

If XFCE4 is starting, move all the removed files partly back and see, which is
causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

Best

Hans