Am Dienstag, 5. Dezember 2023, 17:05:15 CET schrieb Stephen P. Molnar:
To get closer to the cause, I suggest to remove temporaryly any loginmamanger
out of the way  Either /usr/bin/xdm, /usr/bin/kdm, /usr/bin/gdm or /usr/bin/
xdm, whatever. Copy it somewhere, i.e. to /root

Then reboot and from thhe cli use the command "startx" to start into graphical
mode. Mostly the X-server is the problem.

But now you can see, if the required kernel module is started and the required
acceleration module is started. Or just get the error message.

In most cases I got into trouble, it was the module of NVĂ­dia, which was not
built correctly or unavailable.

Creating temporarily a simple xorg.conf file copied to /etc/X11/ let you force
to load different graphical drivers. Mostly "vesa" should work. but depending
on your hardware it might be "nvidia" or "nouveau" or "ati" whatever.

As we do not know, which graphic chip you are using, we can only guess.

Please also note, that in the past I got into problems with the nouveau kernel
module, whilst the proprietrary driver from NVidia worked perfectly. However,
this is only related to NVidia cards.

My greatest problems with NVidia cards was mostly after a kernel upgrade, as
the kernel module could often not be built with a newer kernel.

This might also happen by AMD or ATI graphiccards, as they (as far as I know),
also depend a kernel module and a related graphics module.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Good luck!

Hans