On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 6:20 PM Greg Wooledge <g...@wooledge.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 09:54:08PM +0000, fuf wrote:
> > Near a half month ago I bought a comp. made into 2011 year and didn't knew
> > which Debian12 to put: i386 or amd64?, chose i386 as thought that old comp.
> > didn't take amd64.
> > i386-netinst Debian 12 was being installed perfectly,  and later I could to
> > read a disk owned to the comp.:
> > CPU
> > Support Processor Intel Sandy Bridge (Dual core / Quad core) (optional)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge
>
> Instruction set x86-64
> Instructions    x86, x86-64
>
> You could run amd64 on this machine.  Right now, you have a choice
> between the two, but some distributions have already dropped support
> for i386.  amd64 would be the more future-proof choice.

amd64 is probably the better choice, as Greg points out.

On the good side, amd64 also has twice the registers, and can perform
64-bit math. Both usually make software run faster.

On the downside, 64-bit increases memory pressures.

Also see x32, <https://wiki.debian.org/X32Port>. It takes advantage of
amd64 benefits, and tries to reduce the memory pressures.

Jeff