Haines Brown (12024-01-08):
> I find that often (such as wiki.debian.org/CDDVD) I'm told to mount

Please do not remove the protocol part from the URL, it makes
auto-detection and copy-pasting more annoying.

> the cdrive.

I do not see this page suggesting to mount audio CDs. Audio CDs do not
contain a files system, nor do they contain the synchronization
information necessary for a reliable read.

There is a hack in the kernel to mount them and present audio track as
PCM files but it is a hack, I do not know if it is enabled by default
and I do not recommend too use it.

>             But I can play cds without mounting. Wny is mounting
> sometimes recommended?

Either people are wrong to recommend it or you are mistaken in thinking
they recommend it.

> I wanted to use aplay to play music on cdrom, but have concluded
> it cannot be done in any straightforward way. Why not?

Because aplay requires the data to be available as a plain stream of
octets and the kernel does not provide that interface for audio CDs.

> The mplayer command $ mplayer -cdrom-device /dev/sr0 cdda:// works. On
> my system it relies on alsa. However, about every 15 seconds the the
> process stops for about one second ane the drive LED flashes on. In
> the mplayer configuration I do D not see anything about buffer size.

Search for “cache” in the man page.

> To simplify my life, I created a ~/scripts/play file. It is in my
> PATH. The file has this content:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>
>   mplayer /dev/sr0 cdda://
>
>   exit 0
>
> But the $ play command only returns the aplay -help info. Why won't
> the script work?

You forgot the “-cdrom-device” option. And judging from what you are
saying you need to learn how $PATH works.

But unless you cannot spare 60 megaoctets somewhere, save yourself a lot
of trouble: just run cdparanoia -B then opusenc and put back the audio
CD at the back of the shelf where it belongs.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George