On 1/17/24 12:27, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

David Christensen wrote:
I suspect the conflicting serial numbers are causing problems in the kernel,
as indicated by the /dev/disk/by-id/* problems.

That's not in the kernel but in udev/systemd's process of creating the
symbolic links in /dev/disk/by-id/.
It gets /dev/sd[h-l] and /dev/sd[h-l]1 as kernel generated device files.
But sd[ij] and also sd[hl] show pair-wise the same serial numbers.
In case of sd[ij] the outcome is mixed: links to sdi and sdj1 survive.
In case of sd[hl] we see a less strange outcome: sdh and sdh1, while
sdl and sdl1 are missing.

missing because the original command line did not look at sdl.
I added the l and it showed up. No magic.

The open question (at least to me) is whether it's the disks or the
controllers or the drivers which cause the duplication.
Neither, a typu in the original command.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.