Hello,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 10:09:53AM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Andy Smith (12024-01-26):
> > The "firmware may write to it" thing was raised as a concern by a
> > few people,but always a theoretical one from what I could see.
>
> Now that I think a little more, this concern is not only unconfirmed,
> it is rather absurd. The firmware would never write in parts of the
> drive that might contain data.

I suppose my concern with that is that a firmware developer might
feel justified in poking about in the ESP, which they might consider
is there "for them".

I have seen quite a few first hand reports of motherboard firmware
that writes empty GPT when it sees a drive with no GPT, which I had
previously considered unthinkable, so I do worry about trusting in
the firmware developers.

Thanks,
Andy