Hello,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 08:40:42AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On 1/26/24 08:19, Tim Woodall wrote:
> > Hardware raid that the bios cannot subvert is obviously one solution.
> >
> Is nearly the only solution,

If the problem to be solved is defined as redundancy for the ESP,
there are a bunch of solutions as already discussed. All of them
come with upsides and downsides. The downsides of hardware RAID for
this, for me, are too big.

> [hardware RAID] needs to have a hard specified format that
> guarantees 100% compatibility across all makers

If that happened, mdadm could support it, and then I would continue
to use mdadm. In fact it already has happened, in that Intel came up
with a standard for its "fake RAID" data layout and mdadm does
support it already. But of course, none of the other vendors of
hardware RAID took that on.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/white-papers/rst-linux-paper.pdf

It has also been pointed out that there is no technical reason why
EFI firmware can't support MD RAID, since MD is open source.

But on the whole, we can't wait around for any of that to happen.

> full intentions of locking the customer to only their product.

There was a time when hardware RAID was really the only game in
town, and the ability it gave to lock in the customer was just the
cost of doing business.

That time has passed, but I don't think the UEFI firmware developers
are interested in helping out.

Thanks,
Andy