Hello,

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 09:03:50PM +0100, hw wrote:
> Show me any installer for Linux distributions that handles this
> sufficently without further ado.

That was the question I posed several posts back: what do people do
for redundant ESP.

> When you don't use btrfs, you have either hardware RAID or
> mdraid.

…or zfs or bcachefs or no redundancy at all…

> With mdadm RAID, it isn't much better than with btrfs since
> without further ado, you still don't have redundant UEFI
> partitions.

As mentioned, people do try it, and we don't yet have any reports
of catastrophe.

I'm not sure I am brave enough though.

> With btrfs and mdadm RAID, it's basically worse because you have
> to deploy another variant of software RAID in addition to the
> software built into btrfs.

I see, so this is basically a philosophical objection. You already
have software that provides redundancy (btrfs), but since UEFI
firmware can't read it and insists that ESP be vfat, it would mean
providing redundancy another way. This need to have two means of
redundancy is an affront to you.

In practical terms, having md driver just for a small ESP array is
not going to be a big deal, but just the idea of configuring this
extra form of redundancy, having that extra driver loaded etc., is
unpleasant.

> So at least for boot disks, I'll go for hardware RAID whenever
> possible, especially with btrfs, until this problem is fixed.  Or do
> you have a better option?

Right, so your answer is hardware RAID. If you're happy with that,
that's great, but I've left hardware RAID behind nearly ten years
ago and this issue isn't enough for me to welcome it back. Though it
leaves a bad taste, I still would rather go with either syncing ESPs
by script or putting ESP in MD RAID and hoping firmware never write
to it.

I just wondered if there were more options (yet).

Thanks,
Andy