On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 09:13:40AM +0200, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> In my opinion it's often too much to set LC_ALL=C because it changes
> charset to ASCII (LC_CTYPE).

It depends on what you're doing, of course.  If the purpose is to
normalize error messages so that you can report your issue to an
English-only mailing list, and if LC_ALL=C doesn't mangle the
output beyond recognition, then it might be good enough.

The OP of this thread seemed to have a goal of altering Debian
documentation to have *everyone* performing a dist-upgrade run
their dist-upgrade sessions under LC_ALL=C for reasons that I
can't remember (or which weren't stated).  I'm uncertain what the
larger goal is there -- many of these users would probably have
difficulty reading their own session logs afterward.