On 16/02/24 at 17:44, Greg Wooledge wrote:

If my guess is correct, then I don't support the plan to modify the
Debian documentation to suggest that everyone log their dist-upgrades
in English "because if something goes wrong you will probably ask for
help from an English speaker".  There are way too many layers of
assumptions there.

No it wasn't for this argument that I wrote:

"I think that a recorded session with the output of the commands in
English is better then a localized session for debugging purposes."

In the paragraph in question ¹  I read:

"It is strongly recommended that you use the /usr/bin/script program to record a transcript of the upgrade session. Then if a problem occurs, you will have a log of what happened, and if needed, can provide exact information in a bug report. To start the recording, type:"

Therefore I ran "script" session to upgrade to stable 12.5, then I saw that the output of "apt" was localized to my native language. So I thought: How can I provide exact information in a bug report if I've only localized messages?

For this reason I've asked for feedback here before to propose a change to the syntax to the "script" command that IMHO it'd be:

# env LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 script -T ~/upgrade-bookwormstep.time -a ~/upgrade-bookwormstep.script