On 22 Mar 2024 17:26 +0500, from avbe...@gmail.com (Alexander V. Makartsev):
>     This is because of how IPv4 network address translation (NAT) works, to
> allow multiple LAN hosts to connect to Internet with single IP address
> assigned by Internet Service Provider (ISP).

A NAT router might also implement firewalling functionality, but _NAT
is not a firewall_.

Dropping traffic because it is prohibited (or because it's not
allowed) is _not_ the same thing as dropping traffic because the
device doesn't know what to do with it.

> Now, I don't want to scaremonger and feed anyone's paranoia, but for the
> sake of completion, there are known cases in history when router/firewall
> had vulnerabilities, or firmware flaws, or configuration negligence, that
> allowed perpetrators to 'hack' them, as in gain full access and control over
> their firmware and gain network access to LAN hosts.
> These cases are extremely rare nowadays and very hard to pull off
> successfully, especially if the device owner keeps firmware up-to-date and
> configuration tidy.

Sure, firewalls can have bugs (which may or may not affect security).
But so can software running on a PC. The solution is much the same:
use supported software, and install updates promptly. For a firewall,
get one where the vendor offers, or can at least be expected to offer,
upgrades for a significant amount of time.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”