What license does the package have.  Sometime, the Debian packaging people
drop packages which don't have a "proper" FOSS license.


At Sun, 27 Sep 2026 12:44:12 +0200 Tomasz Wolak <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
> On 9/26/26 10:49 PM, Frank McCormck wrote:
> >
> > On 2026-09-26 16:22, Tomasz Wolak wrote:
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> Do you know if there is any particular reason why mesa-amber drivers
> >> (for Xorg) are not present in Debian distributions? (not only in
> >> stable, last time I checked no version, not even experimental, has
> >> packages with mesa-amber, unless named exotically...)
> >>
> >> These drivers are available, for instance, in Arch:
> >> https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/mesa-amber/
> >>
> >>
> >
> >    But in Arch Pacman wants to remove the basic Mesa package to install
> > Mesa-amber as they
> >
> > are in conflict.
> >
>
> Well, Arch was just an example, I do not know how they package it, I
> just found mesa-amber there...
>
> Regarding Debian, as I wrote, I have compiled source packages for Ubuntu
> on Debian 13 and installed them without any issues/conflicts. There are
> lintian warnings and even some errors while building packages (about
> packaging for a different distro, what would need cleaning up for
> Debian), but it does not seem much of a problem to me, and it is nothing
> that prevents using it. It is only matter of environment (specifying
> proper libraries/drivers).
>
> So again - is there a reason not to put it in Debian? (besides maybe
> that no one has done that...)
>
> Cheers.
>
> PS. At the moment I have installed:
> libegl-mesa0:amd64
> libegl-mesa0:i386
> libegl1-mesa-dev:amd64
> libgl1-mesa-dev:amd64
> libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64
> libgl1-mesa-dri:i386
> libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64
> libgl1-mesa-glx:i386
> libglapi-mesa:i386
> libglu1-mesa:amd64
> libglu1-mesa-dev:amd64
> libglx-mesa0:amd64
> libglx-mesa0:i386
> libosmesa6:amd64
> libosmesa6:i386
> mesa-libgallium:amd64
> mesa-libgallium:i386
> mesa-utils
> mesa-utils-bin:amd64
> mesa-va-drivers:amd64
> mesa-va-drivers:i386
> mesa-vdpau-drivers:amd64
> mesa-vdpau-drivers:i386
> mesa-vulkan-drivers:amd64
> mesa-vulkan-drivers:i386
>
> and I added recompiled from Ubuntu:
> libegl-amber0:amd64
> libgl1-amber-dri:amd64
> libglapi-amber:amd64
> libglx-amber0:amd64
>
> with no conflicts.
>
> I have found some alternatives for Debian:
> https://github.com/Smu1zel/mesa-amber-debian
> https://github.com/Smu1zel/mesa-copal
>
> But the first is apparently "deprecated" and the second does not build
> properly (compiles, but fails on installation while building packages).
>
> So I wonder if there is, in general, an (official?) plan for Debian for
> these drivers.
>
>
>

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
[email protected]       -- Webhosting Services


Reply via email to