On 2026-09-30 15:22, Chris Green wrote:
Thomas Pircher <[email protected]> wrote:
What does not work exactly?
    chris$ ypdomainname
    chris$ domainname
    chris$ dnsdomainname

ypdomainname and domainname relate to NIS, as Greg already pointed out. This is not related to the DNS domain name. The dnsdomainname and hostname --fqdn commands will give you a more useful answer, given you r configuration.

Is there a reason you use 127.0.1.1 instead of the more commonly used
value 127.0.0.1?

It's what a Debian 13 installation produces, I have 127.0.0.1 as
localhost (see above).

Yes, ignore what I wrote here. I was about 20 years out of date with my comment.

However things like postfix and others use ypdomainname/domainname to get the domain.

Postfix's documentation says it uses the fully-qualified domain name from gethostname(2). This is slightly confusing, as I would expect that to return just the hostname. If it wanted the DNS domain name, it would have to resolve it using e.g. getaddrinfo(3).

This all sounds very brittle to me. Please consider setting `mydomain` or `myhostname` in the Postfix configuration explicitly. You want to be in control of this information, if your mail server is public facing.

Also see the discussion in "THE FQDN" in the man page of hostname(2): a given machine can have zero, one or more domain names.

Thomas

Reply via email to