On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 01:19:38PM -0700, s. keeling wrote:
> I think the world's needy are going to be far happier with the US 12.9
> billion than they are going to be with Canada's paltry 2.0 billion.
> Or would you prefer they had Norway's _massive_ (per Capita)
> contribution of only 1.7 billion?

Norway is basically Saudi Arabia -- tons of oil money of the North Sea.
That explains *them*.

Naively I would say the US "should" be giving about $55/person, maybe
increase our aid by say $4 billion/year.  Parity is not structurally
important at these scales, as s. keeling says, but anything which
reduces the rhetorical strength of the terrorists and eurosnobs is
probably useful.

> The US does lots of stupid (and just plain wrong) things.  No-one
> should be criticizing them on this though.  Why is it the world's
> other superpowers (Russia/CIS, PRC) don't even show up on this list?

China is not yet a superpower, but they soon will be.
China is still very poor.
I am reading "Many Globalizations" by Berger and Huntington.
I used to think China and Japan were similar.  They are not.

Japan is a net exporter of culture (comic books, cars, sushi);
China is not.  In Japan, they eat out more than they eat at home,
and the kids blue jeans.  China's not like that, nor are they becoming
that.

In China the party-state still controls most significant business, and
communism is being replaced with the "Confucian Merchant" -- the
scholar-businessman.