On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:06:31PM +0100, David Baron wrote:
} I never set up LVM (I only have one partition--should probably change this,
} but) and so it must have gotten in the bootup sequence because the UI in
} Webmin. In any event, in 2.4.22, it worked, no VM groups.
}
} Under 2.6.2-*, get LVM "module not loaded?" message on bootup and shutdown.

I ran into this same issue (though I actually do use LVM). I'm assuming
you've installed module-init-tools already, which is required for
modules to work at all under 2.6. If not, do so.
<<<<<

I apparently had it. Apt-get upgraded it.

<<<<<<
} 1. If I do not need it, how do I "turn it off" ?

apt-get remove lvm-common

...which will also want to remove lvm10 if it is installed.

} 2. When I do need it, how do I get it working again under 2.6.*?

apt-get install lvm2
<<<<<<

I think what I had in mind was to not start/stop but leave lvm-common on the
disk. I guess, failing all else, get a hammer :-)