On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 05:04:26PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:46:08PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > It's not too difficult to work out the maximum breaking force that can be
> > applied before you get thrown onto the road.
>
> I believe it is 0.67g. Of course you can't achieve this with the rear
> wheel alone so by not using the front wheel you're sure not to flip
> over, but you're also getting much less deceleration.

It's g tan theta, where theta is the angle between the vertical and a
line drawn from the point where the wheel touches the road and the C
of G of the (bike + rider). However, the available friction force
between the tyre and the road places an upper limit on this, which
will probably be something between 1 and 1.5 g depending on how sticky
your tyres are.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons