The logs still do not reflect that the mail was delivered.  Although
there are no traces of it in the spool directory.
If the D*.SMD file is gone, that's an IMail issue -- either it's broken (if it just deleted the D*.SMD file), or it should have delivered it (in which case it should appear in the logs). Remember when searching log files, NEVER search for the full name of the file; always search for the name of the file minus the first character and extension.

I also checked for locked files _* and did not find any.
I'm not surprised in this case -- if the D*.SMD file is gone, it's unlikely that the _* file would still be there.

I understand there is not much to go on, is there anything I can monitor
to make sure all is well.
It's hard to say what happened here. Are you sure that the D*.SMD file you looked at originally wasn't just an E-mail that was arriving on the server (in which case you may have opened it while Declude JunkMail was processing it, before it added its headers)?