(sigh) Keyboard virus... I should have had an underscore in *both* of the
entries.  To recap I'll reproduce here with an underscore inserted to get
around my own filter:

#Dec-02-2002 AC Very common in Chinese hosted spamvertisement
# "unsubscribe" footers
BODY 0 CONTAINS bta_mail.net.cn

And the "verbatim" spam snippet with an underscore inserted:

<FONT
face=verdana color=#800000 size=3><STRONG>Unsubscribe
at:&nbsp;&nbsp;[EMAIL PROTECTED]</STRONG></FONT>
******</BODY></HTML>

And the symptom was that this line in my filter text didn't fire on an
actual spam but did fire on a follow-up test (and my message to this list
when I neglected to insert *both* underscores).

Andrew 8)