-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Sanford
Whiteman
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 10:03 PM
To: Paul Fuhrmeister
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Windows API call to WINSOCK.DLL

> It's   for  a  project  where  we're  running  a  name  server  with
> spam-vertised domain names, IP Numbers and phone numbers. We have an
> .exe  to pick them out of emails, now we need to look them up on the
> name server.

The  ultimate  goal  would be to get the IP address of a spam-vertised
domain  name?  I'm not sure what good would that do for you. You can't
use  that  IP  address  on  a  blacklist,  since  the  chances  of  it
originating   mail   itself   are   infinitesmal  (that's  why  people
spamvertise  from  other  servers,  I'd  think).  If  you want to just
provide  an RBL for hostnames you find in an email body, using the DNS
protocol  is  a  great  idea,  but there's no reason to have a real IP
address associated with the name, just a 127.0.0.2 response or similar
to  signify  whether  the name is listed. You could do likewise for IP
addresses, like the IP4r method does, and even phone numbers if you're
creative.

GetHostByName()   usage   is  pretty  straightforward--there  must  be
hundreds  of  howtos  for VB (though you'll probably need to build/buy
COM object for ASP).

Again, what's the project exactly?

-Sandy

unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com.