> I'd  say  if they fired him for just receiving porn then they better
> be prepared for a lawsuit.

> If  I  had  something to do with getting rid of some sorry so and so
> that  was doing stuff like that to his employer I'd feel pretty good
> about it.

My thoughts are completely in line with Terry's.

There  is  no question of your complicity in the gentleman's firing if
you are comfortable that the employer *knew* the offending messages to
*not*  be  spam,  and thus out of your purvue completely. If, however,
you  feel  that,  acting  as  a  spam  expert,  you did not adequately
represent  the  extremely  high likelihood that pornographic e-mail is
unsolicited,  or,  even worse, gave the reverse impression (i.e., that
your filtering service--impossibly!--only allows through porn that was
desired  by  the  end  user, deleting everything else on arrival), you
should   try  to  remedy  this  misunderstanding  immediately.  As  an
immediate  band-aid,  you  may  wish  to  release an "updated end user
agreement"  that  highlights  this area, without revealing your direct
motivation.

I  would  feel  horrible  knowing  I'd  inadvertently  helped to frame
someone,  whether  due to ignorance or corruption on the part of their
boss; in fact, I would ready myself to defend the individual in court,
and lose the client. You have to go deeper on this: it's a question of
why/whether this has anything to do with you positively or negatively,
since you provide anti-spam software--not employee monitoring/spyware,
which is in a sense its direct opposite.

-Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.