From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Markus Gufler
Sent:
Friday, June 27, 2003 5:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] time-dependently hold weight

Hi spam-fighters,

What do you think about a time-dependently hold weight?

Maybe this can be helpfull on certain systems (where all users work in the same time zone) to reduce FP's.

For further explanation please see the PDF-file located at www.zcom.it/decludeupdater/returncodes.pdf (280 kB).

-The red dots are single messages over 24 hours (x) and their weight (y).

-The blue line is the average value of all weights in this time range

-The yellow line is our current hold weight of 100 points.
 (consider it 100% if you hold on the default weight of 20 points)

Now my suggestion/question:

As you can see, our server processes most legit messages between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM

So why not increase the hold weight slightly in this time range and decrease it a little bit on the resting time? (green line)

Counting our FP's from the last 20 days and increasing the hold weight during business time from 100 to 110 this will avoid 65% of them.

Naturally the increased hold value let pass some more spam messages, but with 225 more delivered spam (that has recieved a weight between 100 and 110 points) from over 14000 hold spam in the last 20 days this is very few.

Theoretically we all can create two identical configuration files with 2 different hold weights and switch between this two with a scheduled task. No additional ressources are needed.

...or am I missing something?

Markus