I have 3 mx records for my domain.  The first 2 are pointing to the external
mail gateways (primary and backup) both running Imail with declude
junkmail/virus.  The 3rd mx record points directly to my internal exchange
server (running scanmail), which bypasses all junkmail and virus scanning by
declude, and I thought only would be used if the first two mailservers fail.

That is correct -- if the sending mailserver is operating according to the RFCs.

I have noticed in the last few weeks a few spam messages being sent directly
to my internal exchange mailserver.  I was not aware that this is possible
when my mx records are configured as they are. If someone can explain how
this can be happening, and any suggestions for a more secure setup would be
much appreciated.

What is happening here is that the spammer is using their own software ("spamware") to send the spam. Knowing that many people don't scan E-mail that comes through their backup mailserver(s), their spamware chooses to try the backup mailservers first.

If your Exchange server isn't running any anti-spam or anti-virus, I would recommend removing it from the MX record.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.