-----Message d'origine-----
De : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] De la part de Matthew
Bramble
Envoyé : jeudi 21 août 2003 03:32
À : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Objet : Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Alligate vs. Message Sniffer...opinions?

John,

I just joined the list today, but I found your configuration file from
back in June and it was very helpful in understanding how to fine tune
Alligate.  I'm going to study it's logs more closely before I start that

phase though, looking for false positives.  I've turned that test down
to 3/10 of failure and reduced several other tests by 1/10 to 2/10 of
failure in order to accommodate it (BADHEADERS for instance).  It seems
to get most of it's scoring from technical-type stuff instead of the
heuristics, and if this is the case, I don't think that a scaled test
would be that much more useful to me.  If I could score the content and
obfuscation, and just those things, I wouldn't be double counting the
technicals, and that should reduce some false positives.

I don't want to knock Alligate, it has some nice functionality,
especially when used without Declude (auto whitelisting and digest
notification), and it does what it says, but it has a relatively high
false positive rate in the default configuration and therefore it can't
be scored higher than it is on my scale.  If they could get the auto
whitelisting and digest notification to work with Declude, that might
make me a buyer.  I'm still looking for more information on Message
Sniffer within this context.

I've looked at AutoWhite and will probably give it a try, but I can't
find any information on Match.  Would you care to share a link?

Thanks,

Matt

John Tolmachoff (Lists) wrote:

>As one of the earlier testers and helped develop the variable scale of
>Alligate, I can understand your position. I have a client that gets a
lot of
>e-mail from the Far East and a lot of bcc broadcasts and lists. Many of
>these show elements of spam, but are legit. That is what makes it hard.
>
>There are a number of adjustments available in Alligate. You might want
>look over my config file I posted earlier today.
>
>One thing I do for this specific issue is I use 2 programs. One is
Match,
>which is very simple but does need to be revised. The other is
AutoWhite. A