Just a follow-up to this problem, uninstalling the latest Microsoft patch
fixed the problem.  We're guessing that it has something to do with the
total number of network connections, since that is the only thing that's
different between Declue running and not running-- Declude opens a bunch per
incoming email while performing its testing.  This is only a theory and will
get a lot more study, but for now, an un-patched server works fine.  We're
going to dig in and find out what the patch does to the server and see if we
can figure this out, because apparently the patch is fairly important.

Thanks to all that made suggestions.