Since the address is bad, the bounce won't ever get to the sender. It's pretty unfortunate.

I just had a client call the other week when I upgraded to a newer version of Declude which I think started catching the misspelling in MAILFROM where as it didn't before (if I recall the problem correctly, I might have just upped the score for that test). One person at this business had been sending E-mails to another person at the same business with his From address misspelled, and the receiver knew this and would just simply change it in her replies, but all of a sudden my server stopped allowing these through. Since the E-mail was sent within the domain, it failed the IPNOTINMX test as well, which didn't add points, but didn't credit them with 2 points that would have otherwise been given. They might have also suddenly gotten picked up by a DUL list because they're on DSL, and that scores on intra-server E-mails since the sender is the IP of the client's gateway and not my mail server's IP.

I weight MAILFROM at 7 now (same for VERISCAM), however I IP bypass my Microsoft SMTP server which gets the misspelled form inputs that generally fail the NOLEGITCONTENT test (which would put it at 5 with my fail weight of 10). Some customers are behind IP's that would fail certain DUL lists as well, so that has to also be taken into consideration. IPNOTINMX and NOLEGITCONTENT, get 2 points each credited back to them and therefore it should pass no problems if the sender's mail server is reasonably good. This is a perfect example though of how WHITELIST AUTH would be beneficial since internal domain E-mail can fail so many tests, and that would allow you to increase the score of MAILFROM to around 10 in the same setup (I score 4 for DUL's)

I did have one FP out of 18 catches on the VERISCAM filter in the last day (out of more than 3,000 E-mails that otherwise failed). This E-mail was sent from [EMAIL PROTECTED], and it was a from ma product called Altiris Patch Management server ( http://www.altiris.com/products/patchmanagement/ ). The E-mail ended up as a false reject, failing the following tests:

EASYNET-DYNA (4), VERISCAM (7), IPNOTINMX (0), NOLEGITCONTENT(0), FROMFILTER(1), and DYNAMIC(3)

It was sent from an internal server, not a mail server though. The FROMFILTER caught the keyword SEX for one point, and DYNAMIC is a new filter that I am testing that detects reverse DNS entries with IP addresses in the name. The E-mail scored a 15. That's problematic, and bounces wouldn't work even if the product received bounces because the From was faked. Needless to say, I'm calling this customer about the problem. I've seen many issues with devices or software that manage their own SMTP.

Hope this helps.

Matt