>From what I read so far, the idea is that you need someone ELSE (who
him/herself was trusted before) to trust you (e.g., Scott has offered to
trust his customers.)

Basically, you whitelist yourself and then decide who you want to trust.
The trust can be transitive and you can define how many "nodes" removed you
want to implicitly trust.  E.g., you can decide that you trust certain
companies and whoever they trust and whoever they trust - and then stop
there.

Unless one of those two-removed levels trusts a spammer, there would be no
problem if a different section of the web contained spammers who signed
themselves up.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

H&M Systems Software, Inc.