Jason,
Many ISPs refuse (for one reason or another) to delegate RDNS.

For example, we have a T-1 from MPower in Las Vegas.  It is business
class.  It has is a static block of 8 IPs.  Normally considered by most
as acceptable to host a mail server.  But Mpower refuses to delegate
RDNS.

And a few times people on this list have set forth criteria that would
classify us as unacceptable.  Bundling us into the dynamic IP bunch
because of our RNDS from MPower:
las-DSL224-cust089.mpowercom.net

The most common reason for this reasoning is that most admins consider
"DSL" to be equal to "consumer".  But there is such a thing as SDSL
(symmetric DSL) at speeds > 2Mbit!  A better hosting environment than my
T-1.

In conclusion, I see two distinct problems here:
1. ISPs are not accurately, clearly and fairly specifying RDNS entries.
They need to do a better job of this, but have little motivation to do
this.

2. Mail admins need to do a better job of creating criteria for mail
classification.  Don't lump all DSL into spam source.  Don't put a lot
of stock into what an RDNS says, just that it exists.  I really
appreciate Pete McNeil's unique approach in building a tool that looks
for the same things that I would look for by hand, in the content, not
the context.  I think we need more out of the box thinking like this.

Todd Holt
Xidix Technologies, Inc
Las Vegas, NV  USA
www.xidix.com