This wasn't a bug or a larger issue of Declude trust based upon the
'from Address.' There was no choice but to skip DUL/DYNA/DUHL tests
(which were the only ones skipped) when the 'from address' was spoofed
as a local address. Imail 8 and WHITELIST AUTH help, but they don't
solve this issue, either.

Imail 8 can still be configured where the Client is NOT required to
Auth in order to send. One example of that is 'Relay for Addresses.'

So, if we have IPs on a DUL/DYNA/DUHL list, are using anything but 'No
Mail Relay' in Imail 8 and we run a DYNA/DUL/DUHL test on the first
hop, we will definitely tag our own customers.

So, the way I see it, running DYNA/DUL/DUHL tests on the first hop of
ALL mail, is only safe for those folks who: (1) are sure that none of
their IP addresses are on any DYNA/DUL/DUHL list (and will never be on
one) -OR- (2) run Imail 8, have it configured for 'No Mail Relay' and
have WHITELIST AUTH specified in the Declude's Global.cfg. Then, in
either cases, scanning the first hop is a simple matter of changing
the test name to eliminate the reserved string of DUL, DYNA or DUHL
and using the hack which Matt found. For instance:

Change this:
  NJABL-DUL  ip4r  dnsbl.njabl.org  127.0.0.3  10  0

To this:
  NJABL-HOP1  dnsbl %IP4R%.dnsbl.njabl.org  127.0.0.3  10  0

I don't think a switch in Declude is really needed.

Thanks,

Saturday, May 15, 2004, 10:01:11 AM, Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
M> Andy,

M> It's only been a matter of months since a realistic work around
M> wasavailable for most users (using WHITELIST AUTH).  To the best of
M> myknowledge, I'm the only one of us that has said anything about it
M> onthis list (first time in March, but of course I could be wrong).
M> LikeI indicated though, there is a way to fix the problem using the
M> dnsbltrick, and it works immediately.  I would however like to see
M> a switchgiven also, but this seems more like a convenience if you
M> useDUL/DYNA/DUHL the way that they were meant to be used in the
M> firstplace (which I was not), but still, it only means some extra
M> lookups.

M> Matt

M> Andy Schmidt wrote:

M>       Thanks - ouch.
M>
M>   I'd say that's a bug in design.
M>
M>   Since AUTH is supported in Imail 8 and sinceothers may not
M> allow local users to send through their Imail server (myoutbound is
M> going through IIS SMTP with SMTP AUTH), there should be ATLEAST a
M> config option to turn this "spam me by faking sender" featureoff!

M>   Best Regards
M>   Andy Schmidt

M>   Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20(Business)
M> Fax:    +1 201 934-9206

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.inetconcepts.net
(972) 788-2364                    Fax: (972) 788-5049
----