Yep...only problem is it won't help against distributed attacks that send
one message per IP, but it sounds like your problem was not as distributed.

Darin.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Schreiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Blocking Dictionary Attacks

Thanks for reply. One thing I found this morning on IMail list recent post
was BlackIce settings whereas will auto-block IP for 3 failed non-existent
user attempts within 30 seconds.  The BlackIce documentation is poor on this
subject and never figured it out myself over the years we have been using,
but an IMail poster posted good instructions from a fellow who wrote the
manual on Blackice apparently. Anyhoo... I set-up this morning and have been
monitoring. It is working well so far and at least I am only seeing only 3
log entries now in Imail logs on non-existent users vs. hundreds per IP. I
am still very concerned that I may end up blocking legitimate IP's via
zombies and going to watch closely for awhile. The other trade off is
BlackIce may be working harder now and seeing 4-6% on CPU, but think this
was typical anyway. BlackIce also does a decent job on other things like
infected Zip signatures and attached exe's etc. I feel comfortable with it
as another security layer. For example on our SQL server, we use it to block
the hundreds probing our port 1433 daily. We handle light email volume in
comparison to others here and I am sure if someone out there floods us hard,
the IMail box and BlackIce would not hold up. But on limited volume and
budget this may be the ticket for us now. I know the gateway is the "best"
way to go. Thanks for the feedback - most appreciated and always learning
here.

-Don