Title: Message
Andy,

BLAT is great for scripting, but I don't think that you want to create such a dependency within Declude, and I could see this causing issues on some systems since this would be handled outside of the standard process.  Since they already have a mail server to work with, I would start there.  Just a personal opinion of course.

In the context of backscatter, I have turned off every bounce in Declude except for banned extensions which exclude encrypted zips.  I still generate backscatter, primarily from broken viruses, but it's not generally an issue unless a virus is prone to corruption.  So for me, it's not as big of an issue as it is for others, and I believe that backscatter is a larger issue that needs to be dealt with.

Considering that it is likely possible to generate bounces with IMail and SmarterMail though, and considering that it is proper and I assume RCF compliant to do so, I would think that they should add this to a short list.  If so, they should also generate a Return-Path header for the null sender in order to keep pace with evolving standards.

Matt

Andy Schmidt wrote:
Hi Matt:

>> I don't think that this would be trivial since there are several functions that use this and now two different platforms <<

Now may actually be the right time - they clearly HAD to "unbundle" their code from Imail1.exe in order to support SmarterMail.  If anything, now it should be trivial to offer BLAT or some other mailers as a third format.

Keep in mind - the command line syntax is very close(one uses -f for 'file', the other -f for 'from' -- big deal).  I've frequently customized mailer scripts to use one or the other mailer application. It literally takes minutes...

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)