Goran,

It's a lot of work to create an extra level of complexity to handle something that is almost never an issue and can be resolved smoothly if there ever was.

I have had a couple such requests related to this very thing from my customers, but when I explain that we spool undeliverable messages for 3 days before bouncing and that all they have to do is call and I can switch an IP for them if necessary (or they could switch the IP on their own servers without calling me), they seem to understand that this is adequate.  I think that a good deal of the concern involves what happens when they go down on a weekend and not wanting E-mail to bounce if so.

Naturally I am not dealing with companies with tens of thousands of accounts who could justify such redundancy.  Even though your clients might have two gateways currently, they likely have only one mail server anyway, so there is still a single point of failure in the mix on their end.  You should just do everything that you can to make sure that you have full redundancy on your end and try to explain to them that their own gateway redundancy shouldn't be a concern and that they can save a tree by turning one of them off and keeping it as a cold spare if they wish.

Matt

Goran Jovanovic wrote:
Would this work?

Instead of using the hosts file to define the IPs and DOMAINS could you
not create a zone on your own DNS server for the domain in question and
then define 2 MX records? In this case when the primary goes down it
will flip to the secondary by itself? Then you would not need to put it
into the hosts file.

Or is this not a good idea?

     Goran Jovanovic
     The LAN Shoppe