Scott,

This is _exactly_ what I have wanted Declude to do for over two years now all the way down to the spec. This would add low and high skip weight functionality to all filters, external apps and anything else that might be skippable, and do so by using the config in such a way that could easily be backwards compatible when not specified (you would assume null null to be 0 0 and consider that disabled).

This would save tremendously in loading filter files and launching external apps. I for instance have this functionality in one of my external apps, but it still has to be run in order for the weight skipping mechanism to operate. Other external apps have no weight skipping built into them and this would add the much needed functionality to save resources.

Matt

Scott Fisher wrote:
I've been mulling this one over as I watch my spam filtering CPU time slowly taking over the email server. And I don't expect the number of emails to go down. For external programs and filters I think it would be a good idea to add two optional fields to the global.cfg definition line: a minweight and a maxweight. These would be the last two arguments and optional so existing configs would not need to be changed. For an external program:
INV-URIBL external  25 "D:\INVURIBL.exe %WEIGHT% %REMOTEIP%"  25 0
would become
INV-URIBL external 25 "D:\INVURIBL.exe %WEIGHT% %REMOTEIP%" 25 0 -50 300 in this case invuribl would only get run if the current weight was between -50 and 300.
For a filter:
ATTACHMENT-GIF filter D:\ATTACHMENT-GIF.txt x 0 0 would become
ATTACHMENT-GIF  filter    D:\ATTACHMENT-GIF.txt   x   0   0   -50  300
in this case the attachment-gif filter would only get processed if the current weight was between -50 and 300

Here's why I think this is a good idea:
Declude could check the weights before launching the external program. If it is over/under weight the external program would not be launched. 2 if statements to avoid launching a program. That seems like a CPU time saver. Especially when multiplied by 10,000s of emails per day. I use 6 external programs. I believe over half of the program launches would be avoided because of stuff that has already been declared obvious ham or obvious spam.
My final of the 6 programs, gets weight skipped over 90% of the time.
At 10,000 emails a day, avoiding 50% of the external programs would save 30,000 program launches a day. I believe my 50% to be a conservative number and I think that the percentage would average out to be even higher. Now I have about one hundred filters. The vast majority of them get triggered with the skipweight since the email is already at a high spam weight by the time it reaches the filters. But still every one of these filter files needs to be opened, read and closed for every email. Again 2 IF statements per filter could avoid opening 100 files. That seems to me to be a CPU time saver. By the time, email reaches the filters, I think 75% of it is bypassing filters by being over the skipweight. At 10,000 emails a day (small to many of us). That would mean 750,000 filter files a day would not need to be open, read and closed. From the programming side, I don't believe the coding changes to be too difficult. Weight verification/processing code already exists in the Declude program. It would just need to be relocated. I'm a pretty small user here, getting about 14,000 spams on a weekday. Imagine the potential CPU savings for scaling this up to an ISP with 100,000 emails per day. I don't know if this would have an impact on saving my CPU or not, but it has to help even if it is a little.
Please consider this.

Scott Fisher
Director of IT
Farm Progress Companies
191 S Gary Ave
Carol Stream, IL 60188
630-462-2323
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Although Farm Progress Companies has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.