> I  wrote  a Cold Fusion script that looks for these silly text files
> every  so  many  minutes and then parses the crappy, cluttered thing
> into  a nice clean CSV for me, and now I can do anything I want with
> it.  I  imagine  that  someday  I'll  use it in conjunction with the
> gateway, but hey, I have this information right now.

> What would be the best way to use this information with Declude?

I'll answer your query without padding your stated needs.

5XXSink  is  a  connection-time  event  sink  for  MS SMTP (that is, a
plug-in written to the MS API) expressly designed for high-performance
recipient  validation  against a text file, with changes taking effect
immediately.  Simple to operate: you maintain lists of valid recipient
domains  and  users, it rejects anything not on that list. You can set
up   an   MS  SMTP  instance  as  your  MX,  same-box,  forwarding  to
SmarterMail.  Whatever  else you do with MS SMTP is up to you, 5XXSINK
is  just  built  for  it because it's a highly reliable and OS-bundled
MTA.

5XXSINK  is  free.  It  is  in prod at numerous sites with no reported
problems.  (I'm  the  primary  developer  of this tool, and all of our
downloadable tools are free software.)

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/5xxsink/download/release

Later,  when it comes to building your gateway, you know you'll have a
plethora  of  options  across  OSs  and  vendors/communities. For now,
5XXSINK  is  the  fastest existing method I know of directly. OTOH, if
you  were  using  IMail  as  the  MTA wrapper for Declude, it would be
possible  to do all this stuff natively within IMail by using a "smart
store-and-forward"  setup  and some sync scripts for your S&F domains.
The same logic seems possible for SM, and would certainly be the "best
way"  in  theory;  but if you've already probed their forums, I assume
there's no established "cookbook" from that side.

Note  that  there  are  many other products basically equivalent to MS
SMTP   +   5XXSINK   insofar   as  this  need  is  concerned:  they're
easy-to-maintain,   lightweight   Windows-based   MTAs   that  perform
recipient  validation  from  text  files  and  thus can serve the same
purpose  as an MX running on the same box as your mailbox server. Mind
you,  their  *additional*  features,  footprint, and scaleability vary
enormously,  but  here they would all fill the bill. Mercury/32's SMTP
module is one I can def'ly vouch for.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/