> I  am doing research on purchasing/open source server monitoring and
> would like to know what Declude administrators recommend.

I  am  in  the  midst of a two-week (so far) product survey of exactly
that  sort. One of the sites I manage has a need for granular SNMP and
SQL  monitoring  and  reporting across thousands of different metrics,
although  the  number  of physical machines is just three! Rather than
roll  my own solution by augmenting the web application with all kinds
custom logging, I'd much prefer to use a third-party platform with its
own   scheduler,   aging,   graphical  reports,  etc.  But  it's  been
frustrating  so  far  that  I haven't found anything at my price point
($Free through $999) that has quite hit everything I want.

I  am  currently most putting Intellipool, OpUtils, and Zenoss through
to  the  "second  round." There have been others that I simply haven't
gotten  to  install for the first 15 minutes, so I've just had to move
on  (Up.Time,  SysOrb)  even  though  they looked promising. Some just
suck. But I don't want to call them out just yet.

My  reqs are likely different from yours, though. How many devices are
you monitoring, and how many monitors do you expect to have per device
(this  is  closely  tied  to pricing for the non-free options). Do you
need  to  be  able  to  query  the  monitoring  database  from outside
applications?  Are  you going to concentrate on SNMP monitoring, or do
you  share  a  LAN with your Windows devices, making WMI and direct OS
monitoring  more  feasible?  Do  you  need  an  agentless architecture
because  you  don't control your monitored hosts, or could you install
helper  agents on your devices when applicable? Are you going to fully
dedicate  a  machine  to  this  function,  meaning  that  an ISO-based
distribution  that  happens  to load a non-Windows OS is a non-hassle;
similarly,  does  the machine you are using have enough power to run a
VM  image  of  another  OS, rather than supporting that OS down to the
bare metal?

[FYI,  I  have  had  nothing but great experiences with IPCheck Server
Monitor,  which  is  my current platform (along with SNMP Helper). The
problem  is that their pricing is at odds with my new requirement that
I  have  unlimited  monitors  and  a small number of physical devices;
their pricing is more balanced, so they come in a bit too high.]

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/