> Kevin, in our experience, the two OpenDNS servers (208.67.220.220
> and 208.67.222.222) that we suggest be used with Declude, work
> wonderfully and the uptime is excellent.

Uptime  should be 100% on DNS servers. It's 2008! This should not even
be   a   consideration.   No  matter  how  wonderfully  they  work,  a
high-traffic  mail  server  will  _always_ be slowed down by using DNS
servers over a WAN.

> Like  i  said earlier, we here in support see a lot of problems from
> our customer's in-house DNS servers failing to do recursive lookups.

Well...   anyone   running   a  help  desk  for  an  otherwise  stable
product/environment  sees  the  majority of questions for stupid stuff
that  is  not  your  fault.  Does that mean that corporate help desks,
which are constantly saddled with password resets and access requests,
should  just  tell  users  to  share the same user account + password?
(Some do: bad ones.)

> Giving  our  customers  the  suggestion  and  the  option to use the
> OpenDNS  server(s)  is exactly that, a suggestion and an option.

Actually,  what  you  said  was "I suggest always using 208.67.220.220
because  you  will never have to rely on your internal DNS" -- that is
not  an  idle  option but a pretty firm prescription from the company.
Guess it depends on whether "suggest" beats "always" or vice versa.

> You can  use any DNS server that does recursive lookups. The problem is,
> most  of  the  people  we  come  across on a daily basis do not have
> recursive lookup option set up on their local DNS servers.

All companies either have an internal recursive DNS server (maybe they
don't know its IP?) or already use their ISPs DNS or some other remote
DNS  service like OpenDNS. Are you talking about people who have a DNS
server  running  on  localhost,  but  not a recursive server, and have
deliberately  set  Declude  to  use  this  server instead of the fully
functioning  one  they must have in order to send mail? G-d help us if
these people are blithely switching to OpenDNS instead of taking their
DNS illiteracy seriously!

I  would  submit  that  you  are  both  (a)  doing  your own product a
disservice  by  hampering  its performance AND (b) doing your client a
disservice  by  treating their management like "It's okay that your IT
person  doesn't know how to configure/locate the simplest possible DNS
setup,  he/she  can  still be a responsible mail admin." This may be a
good  way to grab more Declude users who would otherwise outsource all
of  their  anti-spam,  but  it  is unethical to suggest that anyone so
unqualified should be in charge of their company's anti-spam defenses.
Sorry  if  anyone's  feelings  are  hurt by that. You may have lots of
other  skills  we  mail  people  don't. But if you don't know DNS, you
don't know SMTP. And if you don't know SMTP, you don't know "e-mail."

Why  not just post/reprint some articles on your site about setting up
recursion (presumably in MS DNS) and point them there? Or put together
a  HOWTO  for  PowerDNS or BIND, both free? It is so ridiculously easy
that  I  shudder  to  imagine  are people trying to make use of such a
techies'  product  as  Declude (sorry, it is, I've been using it since
1.x) who can't handle this.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/