From: "Michael Cummins" <mich...@i-magery.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:25:57
To: <declude.junkmail@declude.com>
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] Fine tuning Declude

So this past week has been fairly hellish for me, buried in the thick of
Botnet Spam storms.  (Quite a number of people seem to be experiencing them,
at least as reported over on the [SNIFFER] list)

My implementation of Declude seems to be pressed to its limits to handle the
volume.

1)      Dedicated SmarterMail 6.8

2)      Declude, Invaluement RBLs added, running off a SimpleDNSPlus install
on another local machine

3)      INVURIBL with Invaluement and SpamEatingMonkey added

4)      SNIFFER, integrated with Declude

This is the root of my volume issues: this box is a dedicated Incoming
Gateway for several dozen Exchange servers for SMBs, which means it accepts
ALL mail for those domains.  It's not like my other mail server that rejects
bad addresses right off the bat.  When the spam storms hit, it's like a
hurricane.  My usual Sniffer-measured rate of about 150-200k messages per
day kick up as high as 850k.  I don't really handle that much mail, but
that's the rate when it storms.  My regular SmarterMail server that dishes
out POP/IMAP handles a more appropriate level of 50k messages per day.

1)      If I keep WAITBETWEENTHREADS too low, DecludeProc will race up to
the top of THREADS and crash when the storms hit.  I currently find that 45
is the bleeding edge of sanity (for my config) with INVURIBL and SNIFFER
running, but in a bad storm, even that is too low, and sometimes I have to
drop it back to 60 or 65; but then it's just keeping up with things, and
it's difficult to reduce the backlog that swelled during the crash.

2)      If I keep WAITBETWEENTHREADS too high, like around 100, Declude is
stable as a rock, but can't keep up with the mail load when times get tough.

3)      When things get bad, I go into GLOBAL.CFG and comment out INVURIBL
and/or the many SNIFFER tests.

Does anyone have any useful advice for beefing up or streamlining this
process?

What hardware choices have the biggest impact on Declude?

As an aside, I imagine that you could prevent a lot of Declude crashes if
WAITBETWEENTRHEADS was a dynamic setting, derived from the mail rate.  Yes?
No?

On a related note, I've been building a Declude Management interface in
ColdFusion that makes excellent use of Mark Russinovich's Sysinternals suite
of tools, most specifically PsList and PsKill, so I can keep a careful eye
on DecludeProc on my two machines, and using the Microsoft FSO to keep an
eye on file counts.

Sysinternals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

FSO

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z9ty6h50(VS.85).aspx

I really recommend those tools.  FSO is really responsive when inspecting
large file counts, for keeping an eye on /spool/  /proc/ and /review/.  You
can write a parse the results of PsList to keep an eye on the number of
Threads that Declude is spawning, and even detect a crash.

Oh, and I have to compliment Linda and David for their relentless and
professional service.  They are a fantastic and responsive team.  BZ!

-- Michael Cummins